Campus Photo

Admission & Financial Aid

    Unusual Circumstances (Dependency Override) Appeal Form

    If you are currently required to provide parent information on the FAFSA but have extenuating circumstances that prevent you from doing so, this form can be used to submit an unusual circumstances appeal, commonly referred to as a request for a "dependency override."  (If you have a relationship with one parent but not the other, it may instead be appropriate to complete a Noncustodial Parent Waiver Petition, also available on our Financial Aid Forms web page.)

    Completing this form and providing documentation does not guarantee that you will be considered an independent student. Appeals may be denied, approved for federal aid eligibility only, or approved for both federal and institutional aid eligibility. If your parents will not provide financial and non-cash support for you, and if they refuse to complete the FAFSA, by completing this form you may at least be eligible to receive additional federal direct unsubsidized loans. 

    Please note that unusual circumstances appeals from prospective students can only be reviewed after an admission application has been formally submitted to Davidson. 

    Before completing this form we urge you to read our web page on Unusual Circumstances Appeals, as it provides information to help you determine whether or not such an appeal might be appropriate for you. If you have further questions after reviewing both this form and our web page, please contact the Financial Aid Office at or 704-894-2232.